As a marketing student, I thought to apply some marketing funda’s. That’s how I came up with an idea to find something on re- branding & positioning of Air India. The process of re-branding took place in 2005. DMA Branding a division of Aliagroup was given the task of re-branding the airline. DMA branding has done projects for many products & companies like Dabur, Ayush etc. The steps in the way to re-branding of Air India-
- Dropping of hyphen from its , name i.e. from “Air-India” to “Air India”.
- Tagline “Fly Well” adopted.
- Designing the seats (by DMA).
- New uniform (new look to traditional sari) designed by Ritu Beri.
- A graphic swan with Ashoka Chakra design. The positioning for Air India has been focused as a quality & premium traffic airline. The coverage of its new avatar has got excellent media hype. Advertising & Public relations have communicated its new image. Now, it’s the turn of word-of-mouth publicity. Air India is also planning to enter the prestigious Star Alliance (Air India may join Star Alliance after Dec. 2007). Star alliance is an alliance of int’l airlines airline which currently has17 members-
- Air Canada
- Air New Zealand
- Asiana Airlines
- LOT Polish Airlines
- SAS Scandinavian Airlines
- Singapore Airlines
- South African Airways
- TAP Portugal
- United Airlines
- US Airways...
This is the second & only chance to have a pie of boomin Indian Aviation for Air India to grab this opportunity & become the most preferred airline in the world.Dig the Web!