The Ministry of Civil Aviation (MCA) has given approval to 03 private airstrips to go commercial. These are –
- Jamshedpur Airport owned by Tata Steel Ltd.
- Vijaynagar Airstrip owned by JSW Steel.
- Mundra Airport (Gujarat) run by Adani Group.
These can boost Regional Airlines, which will use smaller airports. Air Traffic Control will be manned by AAI, but airport charges can be levied by their own discretion. Air Deccan has started operating a flight b/n Jamshedpur & Kolkata with an ATR. Tata has guaranteed a minimum number of seats to the airline. All these gives a rosy picture about boom in Indian Aviation, bt, I have a couple of serious questions-
- What if the govt. do not complete its 5 yr. term? (shows the current tussle b/n Left parties & Congress Party )
- Even if it completes 5 yr. term bt, do not come to power after the gen. elections in 2009. What if new govt. change its policy or even slow down the whole process? (the way it happened in the case of much-hyped golden quadrilateral by the then, NDA govt. & as soon as UPA came in to power the whole process slowed down). Well I am not against any govt. or taking a political side bt, a fair question to be asked… because all this happens in India… Jus hope 4 d best.